Monday, February 2, 2015

Lord of the Rings Day One - TAG!!!





I am doing an LOTR Blog party on To Say Nothing of Reality. And I have opened up Guest Posting here. IT SHOULD BE FUN!!!!

I give the stage to Angelique Jane!!!!!!


1.) How were you introduced to Tolkien?

Actually, through boredom - although, considering as that's how I've been introduced to all of my favourite series and authors, I really ought to stop discounting books based on their covers. Maybe one day... As it is, through boredom and the Hobbit. We had a college literature textbook that had the Riddles chapter in it, but I never knew for the longest time that it was from Lord of the Rings. When I did and finally found the books again at thrift stores (why do people only donate the last two books?! It's no good if you don't have the first!!) after THREE YEARS (patience is a virtue, patience is a virtue...), I fell in love with the series and managed to read it in two days. But really, boredom. If I hadn't been bored enough to read the textbook and that specific story, I'd never have thought twice about it when I saw the books at the thrift store.

2) Did you read the books before the movies or after?
Technically, after. My uncle rented them when they first came out on dvd, but I was very young. Which is why I don't consider that as my introduction to Middle-earth; because I didn't remember it. (Well, I remembered Gandalf dying, and an elf dying - but I got Haldir mixed up with Legolas and the Troy movie with Orlando Bloom. It's what happens when I watch movies at a young age that I don't understand in the least..) My point being is that I didn't remember that the scenes belong to Lord of the Rings. "Well, you do know my name, although you do not remember that I belong to it." Yep! That about summed it up.

But then I read the books, and then managed to scrape the money together to purchase the trilogy and fell in love with the series all over again.

3.) Do you like Tolkien's style of writing?
Do I like Tolkien's style of writing? Of course!!! There's humour, history, languages, fantasy, history, complexity, many layers, mythology, meaning, incredible depth, the command of language, the character that just seem to come alive, I could go on forever....


Tolkien is actually the reason I myself started writing. I love how he created languages and histories; I love how the trilogy almost reads as a history book; I love how he took inspiration from legend and actual cultures; I love how his characters are so real and meaningful - I just love his writing in general? alright, now that we've established that... *laughing* And his humour? Is the best in any world.

4) Did you like the film adaptations?
Considering as I abhor movies that are 'based' on something and then change it? Lord of the Rings is the only trilogy that has never bothered me with that - it's absolutely perfect (alright, not 'absolutely, but considering as any other adaptation that far off usually merits my scathing commentary? I'm still utterly surprised I like it), and Peter Jackson did an amazing job. When watching the trilogy, it is so easy to just step into Middle-earth and forget that it technically doesn't exist. (I'm still unconvinced about that, but nevertheless...)

5) What is one thing from the books you wish Peter Jackson had included in the films?
*blinks* Ummmm.... Oh!! I would have liked to see the Dunáden with Aragorn. And his banner. That's simple...

Most of my changes would have been massive, and the movie really is practically perfec just the way it is.

6) What is one thing from the books that you are glad Peter Jackson cut/changed?
The scenes with Bombadil in the Forest. It's not that I didn't like them (it's Tolkien - I liked it all), but it doesn't really seem to add much... And, I much prefer Théoden knowing about Éowyn's participation in the battle - still heartbreaking, but the book more so as he didn't know and couldn't say goodbye.

7) What character do you think has the most strength and courage?
Sam. He didn't ask to come - but he came without question. He had no idea where exactly the were going, what they were doing, or where they would end; but he came to serve and help Frodo. As the journey went on, he could have turned back countless time - given up because the burden wasn't his to bear; because only Frodo could carry the Ring. Yet he still went. He put up with Frodo's ill-temperament and paranoia that increased the closer they came to the end, put up with being betrayed - yet he still came back to help. He forgave without hesitation. Somehow, he kept his humour throughout the trip, and that was one thing Frodo got right: "Frodo wouldn't have got far without Sam."

8) Which character do you think you are the most like?
Mostly Sam and Éowyn - a mix of the two. I'm very protective of those I care about, and will do anything to protect them. I'll run the house, the grounds, the kingdom, and not expect recognition. I keep my sorrow and fears to myself - I stay strong for the sake of others. When others need my help, comfort, or just someone to listen, I'll be there in a heartbeat; and I always try to help. I show myself strong, no matter what's happening within - but I can't let go of the past on my own.

Anyway, so, Sam and Éowyn.

9) Which is your favourite friendship?
WHY DOTH THOU ASK ME THIS IMPOSSIBLE QUERY!!!!!!!!!

*sighs* Alright, here goes...

Pippen and Merry. They're just so innocent and childlike - yet so strongly bound together. Together, they have an immense capacity for mischief - but split apart they are not what they are.

10) Which is your favourite pairing?
Faramir and Éowyn. It was just so...sweet and perfect! Two people, coming out of such darkness and despair; yet finding what they had sought all along. (My apologies. I am a poet, so language tends to come out oddly sometimes...) And it was..peaceful. In a way. A sign that even the most broken victims of the Darkness could still have hope again.

11) Which Middle Earth villain terrifies you the most?
The Nazgûl or Gríma. Either one... The Nazgûl were dark and easily identifiable as twisted evil beings; but Gríma was manipulative and sick-minded.

12) What is your favourite quote from the book?
Yipes!! *pulls out books and starts marking off list* Okay, give me a few hundred years now...

"He knew now why Beregond spoke his name with love. He was a captain that men would follow, that he would follow, even under the shadow of the black wings.”

For me, that sums up more than just Faramir.

13) What is your favourite quote from the movies?
"Captain Faramir, you have shown your quality, sir - the very highest." - Sam


"So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - Gandalf


14) Given the choice, would you spend the day with a hobbit or an elf?
Elf. No doubt. (And I'll hit my head less often...)


However, the hobbits have all of that lovely tea....


Nevermind. The elves. Of Rivendell preferably too.

15) Mirkwood or Moria?


If Moria is the dark, depressing, Balrog-infested deathtrap that killed Gandalf? Mirkwood, definitely. And then get at least into the circles of light because spiders don't sound fun either...

But when Moria was one of the greatest kingdoms? Definitely there.

But, assuming that the situation is straight from the trilogy: Mirkwood because the Balrog is evil.

16) What is your favourite Middle Earth dress/style?
The Elves and the Hobbits. The Rohirrims were too simplistic and dark, and the people of Gondor wore too much black.

The Elves are elegant and regal, and the Hobbits are innocent and carefree.

17) Red, Brown, Small, round - what did you just think of?
A clay rock.

(what sort of a question was that??)

18) Rivendell or Lothloríen?
Rivendell. While all that Lothloríen is beautiful and as if stepping back into the First Age, it's too cold - impersonal and aloof. Rivendell may hold the memories - but it's warm, preparing always for new life. A haven.

19) Would you rather visit Rohan or Gondor?
At what time, under what circumstances, at what rank, etcetra...?

I'd love to visit Rohan with all of its empty beauty - but if Gríma controlled the throne? Never in a million years.

Gondor is beautiful and strong - but never under Denethor. Under Aragorn, sure; under earlier Stewards, sure.

So, Gondor would be first on my list, then Rohan.

20) What is something about Middle Earth that completely astounds you?
The intricacy of it. How that it seems as if it were all reall - as if I could step out my door and see a Hobbit - if they weren't hiding from the Big Folk. I love how it has so many levels - how I can read it a hundred times and still find new things hidden in it.


THANK YOU ANGELIQUE!!! THAT WAS SO FUN!!!! Comment you guys!!! It's so much fun!

6 comments:

  1. It's so cool to see other people's thoughts and answers! Sam is amazing, I love Sam. He is the reason Middle Earth was saved. Without him Frodo never would have made it, not even half-way. Samwise the Brave 8-D

    Tom Bombadil would have been too much - I agree. He was a good character but in a movie he wasn't really needed.

    MERRY AND PIPPIN!!!! I aspire to write a friendship like theirs 8-)

    THANK YOU FOR DOING THIS POST IT WAS SO MUCH FUN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! And to talk and converse (or at least read other's thoughts on the matter...) on a subject that one enjoys is such a treasure!

      If Sam wasn't in it, I would likely only watch and read half of the trilogy - my apologies to all who are willing to deal with Frodo...

      *laughing* Well, when you write a friendship akin to theirs, will they know to not touch evil things when told?

      Je vous prie! You're very welcome - thank You for allowing me to.

      Delete
    2. Merry and Pippin are brilliant. Don't laugh at them!!!! 8-DI am writing friendships, but sometimes certain characters do things that are extremely vexing.

      I take it you don't like Frodo much? I know that a lot of people have a hard time with him. Do you fee the same way about him in the books?

      Delete
    3. *grins* I can't help it! They're hilairous, and remind me SO much of my brother and myself and the sheer amounts of trouble we'd get into. (Arguably still do, but who can ever prove it... Besides the witnesses and victims, of course.) They are some of my favourite characters though.

      No, not particularly. *thinks* No, he wasn't as bad in the books - by a long shot. I think that was just written differently - or the movies keep bleeding over into the books... Not quite sure.

      He's certainly not the worst character, he just isn't the best.

      Delete
    4. Ah, I see. Well I like him in both 8-) Each to his own opinion though. I know most fans aren't wildly fond of Frodo. When I do my BookVSMovies post I'm going to make sure and do a section about that. :D

      Delete
    5. Really? Everyone I know actually likes Frodo best - I'm the odd one out in that category.

      Delete