Sunday, July 6, 2014

Challenge Day Two

 I'm back because I forgot, this is an everyday challenge. Which means I need to do it today, and my blog is still being used for a promotion.

 So, HALLO!!!!

 Day Two is a character I never expected to love

 TV show:
 I think for this it would be Columbo. I caught a bit of one of the episodes when my family was watching, and I saw this rumpled little man in a worn trench coat and thought it was some weird show my dad and brothers turn on when they are bored to see how long they can sit through it. I had no idea how much I would end up loving the show, and Columbo. He is now one of my favourite detectives, mostly because he is unassuming, rumpled, and so laid back. Unless he gets mad. And whenever he gets mad I start laughing at the bad guys, because if they made Columbo mad they are in big trouble.

 Movie:
 I think I have to go with Steve Rogers for this one. I saw Captain America just as I was starting to get Marvel and making connections between the movies. I had seen Iron Man by this point and I loved Tony, so when I found out about the Avengers and how Steve was going to be one I was mildly curious. 
 I didn't go to the movie and squeal over his arms like a lot of the other girls I heard talking about after it. That wasn't even when I loved him - I was actually glad when he put his shirt on after getting all huge. What I loved about him was the way he said stupid things at the wrong time, how he refused to give up when he had every reason or right to, how he calmly used his brain when he felt like it, how he didn't want to go to war just to kill but because he didn't like bullies. He's one of those complex characters. Everyone assumes he is sweet and quiet on the outside because he trips over himself when he speaks sometimes. But deep down he he is rashly brave, cares about his friends so much he feels like he let Bucky down when he didn't save him, and never thought he was better than anyone else when he became Captain America. He always saw himself as a kid from Brooklyn. The more I find out about his character the more I love him.

 Book:
 This one is easy. It has to be Mott from The Ascendance books.
 This is going to have spoilers. So go read the books and then come back and read this.

 In book one Mott is Conner's right hand man, which gives reason right off to hate him. He is distant and cold and someone it is easy to dislike. But by the end of book one I was completely in love with him.
 Even before he found out who Jaron was Mott showed he wasn't the coldhearted man he showed himself to be. And then there are other things that show up, times when Mott shows real concern for Jaron and tries to help him out so he won't get himself killed. But it was when Mott had to beat Jaron - and when through with it to keep his identity secret, and then apologized after that I melted.
 In the other books he only becomes better. I don't really know how to describe his relationship with Jaron. He wasn't really a father figure, almost more like a big brother but not quite. Just a devoted friend. He is always concerned about Jaron and trying to keep him alive, which isn't easy. And he's not afraid to tell Jaron he's being stupid and needs to stop walking into trouble. He harms himself more than once to keep Jaron safe and is there when Jaron needs him. He is the friend Jaron needs the most I think. Because even if everyone else turned their backs on him, I think Jaron would have been able to cope if Mott had been there beside him. If he'd lost Mott I am pretty sure it would have killed him. And Mott knew it, which is why I am convinced he didn't allow himself to die.

 Anyways, there, day two!

3 comments:

  1. Steve Rodgers is incredibly brilliant and brave. I love him :) awwww Columbo. he is one of the reasons I wanted to like Cas - Cas had a Columbo coat. But then I was just like "How dare you have a columbo coat?? You are not cool enough to have that coat."

    MOTT!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Columbo! I love Columbo. :) He's so hilarious and he always knows who did it, he just buddies up with the bad guy and acts like an idiot until he's got some evidence. I love the episode where he has to renew his shooter's license or something, but he's terrible at shooting a gun so he avoids everybody who reminds him to retake the test. And the time when he stayed outside to find his pen. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, he is so cute and clever :) I used to think my family were the only people who watched Columbo, but I guess I was wrong.

      Delete