Thursday, February 5, 2015

LOTR Blog Party Day Four - Favourite Character


It is Day Fourof the Blog Party that is being hosted at To Say Nothing of Reality and the Guest Posting Continues. Angelique is here to post her favorite character. Let's give her a warm welcome!!!

-FAVORITE LOTR CHARACETER-


DO YOU KNOW HOW LONG I'VE WAITED TO DO THIS?!?!?!?!?! *grins and dances around the room in glee* Finally!! It has come. Of course, now my endless rants will probably all drop out of my mind now that it's finally here - but let's hope not.

Faramir is definitely my favourite character, no other contestants.

Alright, now that that's out of the way, let's discuss him.

He's just...Faramir! He is noble and just almost to a fault, a good leader, one who cares for his men and takes his position of authority seriously, he is respectful and obeidient - but he isn't mindless, he's strong - physically, morally, mentally..., he's faithful and has faith...

What I like most about Faramir is his 'quality', as Sam would put it. The part that makes him "a captain that men would follow...even under the shadow of the black wings." The indefinable air about him that seemed to come from the past and permeate his every action - the wisdom he excersied that could not simply be learnt from books or speech.

He was loyal to his family, and to his city - he was not one to compromise on this.

He fought on the front lines of the battle, saw much death and sorrow, lost many of his friends and his men - but somehow he comes out on the other end of the tunnel believing that "This darkness shall not endure."

He is someone who will put his oaths, his friends, his family, his honour above all else.

(As I'm writing this, I keep hearing Balin's words from The Unexpected Journey: "There is one I would follow. There is one I could call King." As much as I disagree with the one they were meant to apply to - they work quite well for Faramir.)

He has patience, and perseverence. He has loyalty, and love - in a way. He's still hopeful, and faithful. He still believes that hope and Hope (AKA Estel) will return - and he is not bitter.

In my opinion, had Boromir somehow not become Steward and had the seat passed to Faramir, Gondor would have had a just and wise ruler - almost to the level of good that Aragorn brings. (Yes, alright - I'm biased. But still. My point stands)

Some of my favourite scenes in the movies and in the books centre on Faramir - although that's not hard to guess.

In the books, my favourite scene is the part in The Two Towers where Frodo and Sam are captured by Faramir's men - I like how he handled the situation. While it ended much the same in the movies (well, alright, I lied: I don't like how the part with Smeágol played out - but that's beside the point. Everything else then - how he judged them.), it wasn't the same. He was more regal, more strong, than in the movies - and more just. Yes, it probably wouldn't have worked as well, given how Frodo is essentially recounting their journey, and it would have been much longer - but still! It works much better.

Another marvellous scene in the book is where Aragorn heals him, and he awakes with the desire to serve his king. "My lord, you called me. I come. What does the king command?" Remember? Loyalty, faith, quality...All there. Pretty much the best scene here - if I could only choose one, this would be it.

Thankfully, I wasn't asked to do that though... *grins*

In the films, off the top of my head, my favourite scene is probably the one where he take Denethor's command to retake Osgiliath. I always. End up. Crying!!!!

*sighs* But 'tis part of the grandeur and wonder of the world Tolkien created...

My other favourite characters are Sam, Aragorn (preferred in the books), Eowyn (preferred in the books), and Elrond.

My reasons for liking them are much the same as Faramir - but he remains my favourite!

Hatányel orenyallo! Namárië!



Thank you for coming here today Angelique! It is so fun to read all your posts and its so nice to meek fellow Tolkien geeks 8-D See you tomorrow!


Killi just said goodbye
 
 
 
Ben-
Out

No comments:

Post a Comment